Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Walden 7105 Mod 4 (reflection)

The way that this network has changed the way I learn is that it has made me more connected. Previously I would be alone in my quest, either paper or electronic, seeking mostly static resources the provided little to no feedback. Now, I have feedback and vibrancy where the information has more variety to the types available and found, and adjustments or changes in the direction of seeking information can occur much quicker saving time that used to be lost chasing dead ends.

The digital tools that I have found the most helpful are those under the "Google" umbrella. The speed and amount of resources are amazing. It is difficult at times to sort out the number of pertinent references provided in each search. The tools under Google Docs or just plain Google.com have made researching and preparing reports drastically different then when I started college 16 years ago!

The way I learn now compared to before the "network" is I go to the Internet and search. I used to go to books either at home or in the library. I didn't always have precisely what I needed or I would have to go through several references, by hand, before I found something useful after hours of searching. Now I can put some key words in to a search browser and literally sort through hundreds of references within minutes to narrow down the choices to the ones I need. I can collaborate with classmates practically any time and they don't have to be nearby or travel to do it (except across the house).

3 comments:

  1. Stephen,

    Nice job. I agree with your focus on resources. Just years ago we had the basis for all these resources but now these resources are connected. This connectivity makes these resources living and breathing attributes of our everyday lives and no longer do we have to create from a single place, from a single resource, by ourselves. We are now connected that our information, knowledge, and ability follows us rather than us have to know everything and bring everything with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How would you compare what Walden has opened as access to you versus Google? We are implementing Google Apps for Education and the order of integration ease between the tools offered has caught my interest. It is different between age groups. Adults seem to rely on Google Docs for as much as possible including collaborating, but students choose chat and blogger. Google Docs remains an independent private online word processing tool rather than collaborative for the younger age group. Care to offer any thoughts on this observation since you are obviously not within the K-8th grade age group?

    Thanks for sharing,
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't one of the Horizon Report trends talking about Google taking over the world? Interesting that so many of my classmates depend so heavily on Google. Don't get me wrong, I use Google products too, but not to the exclusion of other tools. Zoho has some really nice apps too. And Etherpad worked really well before Google and works really well after Google - proving that one can survive a Google take-over.

    ReplyDelete